Social media platforms plays a huge role in our modern lives. Billions of users are now hooked on different social networking sites as it has become a hub for public information and a major source of popular entertainment. On top of that, social media is also a great avenue for self-expression and communication.
It’s no surprise that social networking platforms continue to evolve and increasingly become popular. Want to know some interesting social media facts this 2018? We’ve listed them down for you!
- Currently, the total world population is 7.6 billion.
- Based on Internet World Stats, 4.2 billion use the Internet.
- Users spend 85% of their time on apps, according to TechCrunch.
Social Media Facts:
- Almost half of the world’s population (3.03 billion) use social media.
- An average internet user owns seven accounts (Statista 2018).
- 69% users are accessing their social media profiles on their smartphones.
- The data from SproutSocial showed that 79% of users love to share their life milestones on social media.
- Millennials are three times more likely to use social media on a mobile device than Baby Boomers.
- According to Social Media Today, an average person spends about 5 years and 3 months on social media, which means at least two hours a day.
- People are addicted with selfies and images. In fact, according to Brandwatch, more than 3.2 billion images are shared on social media posts every day.
Social Media Business/Advertising
- Millennials and Gen X are twice as likely to follow brands on social than baby boomers according to SproutSocial.
- Also, 7 in 10 Gen-Xers are more likely to make purchases from brands they follow on their social media profiles.
- But 60% of Baby Boomers are also looking for promotions on social.
- However, 46% will unfollow a brand if they’re bombarded with too many promotional messages.
- Videos uploaded on social media helped 64% of online shoppers decide in purchasing a product according to Disruptive.
- It also showed that 57% of all mobile users will not recommend a business if its mobile website is not active or poorly designed. Your website must indeed be mobile-friendly!
- 50% of millennials first do their research online before purchasing a product.
- It’s quite ironic that 96% of people talking about your brand do not actually follow you.
- Mobile payments are becoming a trend. Adding this feature will certainly eliminate the hassle of going to physical stores for users’ transactions.
- Augmented and virtual reality is still a top trend.
- Artificial intelligence gets more real.
- More wearable devices are coming.
- Instant apps make mobile users’ lives easier.
These mobile app trends will certainly improve users’ social media experience as well as satisfy their other needs as consumers. Different industries like entertainment, lifestyle, real estate, education, etc.also use social media apps for their businesses. Social media is indeed everywhere.
Also, social media moves too quickly. Users wants and needs are changing, and more and more mobile applications are being born every day. If you want to stay at a competitive advantage, it’s necessary to stay up to date with the rapidly changing social media facts and statistics and always plan ahead.